Marshfield Community Electricity (MCE) is a program offered by the town of Marshfield to provide new electricity supply options and more renewable energy to Marshfield residents and businesses.
Marshfield Community Electricity is the only electricity program offered by the Town – beware of look-alike offers and always look for the town seal on materials sent to you.
Two public information sessions will be held to discuss the Program with Q&A.
• Marshfield Emergency Operations Center located in the new Marshfield Police Station , Tuesday, February 7, 2023 at 10:00 AM. All are welcome to join, either in person or using this Zoom link.
• Marshfield High School Auditorium on February 22, 2023 at 6:00 PM. All are welcome.
Enroll in the Program
Please note, most residential and small business customers will not need to take any action to participate in the Program. See the “How It Works” section below for details on enrollment.
MCE has a standard product, Marshfield Standard, which has more renewable energy certificates (MA Class I RECs) than required by the Commonwealth. Participants in the program receive Marshfield Standard unless they affirmatively choose one of the other electricity products.
|Marshfield Community Electricity (MCE)||Eversource Basic Service|
|Marshfield Standard||Marshfield Plus||Marshfield Basic||Residential|
|Rates||16.710 ¢/kWh||17.850 ¢/kWh||16.310 ¢/kWh||25.776 ¢/kWh|
|Fixed for 21 Months|
|Extra Renewables from New England|
|100% Renewable Energy|
|Renewable Energy||Adds 10% voluntary renewable energy (MA Class I RECs)||Adds voluntary renewable energy (MA Class I RECs) to total 100%||Meets renewable energy standards||Meets renewable energy standards|
|Duration||March 2023 - December 2024||January - June 2023|
Goals of Marshfield Community Electricity
Competitive, Stable Price
Using strategic purchasing, combined with the bulk buying power of thousands of households and businesses in the Town, Marshfield Community Electricity looks to provide competitive, stable rates. While the Program cannot guarantee savings for customers in the future, we expect the Program will perform well and remain competitive over the years to come.
Support Renewable Energy
Marshfield Community Electricity’s standard and optional products include more renewable energy than required by the Commonwealth. This means you can use cleaner electricity and support the growth of renewable energy generation in our region.
Increased Choice with Easy Participation
The Program offers different options for electricity supply so that everyone in Marshfield can find an option that fits their budget and climate goals.
Participants in Marshfield Community Electricity may leave the Program at any time without penalty.
How It Works
Marshfield Community Electricity does not replace Eversource as our electric utility. The utility will continue to deliver electricity, repair outages and manage all billing. The Program offers alternatives for the Supply portion of your bill. See the Understanding Your Bill section on the Eversource’s website to see the difference between Supply and Delivery sections.
The Program is open to electricity customers in Marshfield, whether they be a resident, business, renter, or owner.
Prior to program launch, Marshfield will conduct extensive education and outreach to notify our community.
The Program is structured with voluntary participation and automatic enrollment.
- Voluntary participation: customers can leave the Program at any time without penalty, either before the Program starts or during.
- Automatic enrollment for most: in Marshfield , most residential and some business customers are receiving their electricity supply from the Eversource Basic Service. For these customers, entry into the Program is simple and easy. They are given a 30-day period during which they have the opportunity to opt out (i.e., not participate) or choose one of the program’s optional products. Those who do not opt out are automatically enrolled in the Program.
Each customer eligible for automatic enrollment will receive a Customer Notification Letter in the mail. It will have program details and provide ways to opt out via prepaid mailer, phone and online form.
- Opt-in required for some: Marshfield residents and businesses who have already chosen an electricity supplier other than Eversource are not automatically enrolled in the Program, though they can voluntarily opt in to the Program at any time. The Department of Public Utilities advises all customers of third party suppliers to check their contract terms as their supplier may charge them a fee or penalty to leave before the end of their contract with their supplier.
Solar electricity consumers will not be impacted and will continue to receive all net metering credits while participating in the Program.
Budget Billing and Low Income Delivery Rate customers will continue to receive those benefits while participating in the Program
Questions & Support
Have questions or need help? Please visit the Contact Us page, which contains the contact a form for comments.